It is always best to avoid offending people. It makes life easier and helps you avoid aggressive confrontations or moments of utter embarrassment.
However avoiding saying the wrong things isn’t always that easy if you are faced with a situation you’ve never been in before. Perhaps you’ve never seen on TV, film or online how you should respond in a polite and positive way, so you’re left on you’re own… will you say the right thing?
BBC Three have a plethora of short witty advice segments called Things not to say when… which cover topics as varied as:
- Things not to say when someone stammers
- Things not to say of someone who’s mixed race
- Things not to say to someone with cerebral palsy
- 7 questions British Muslim women are tired of hearing
- what not to say to someone with a facial disfigurement